Mr Paul Higham, who originated from Iran and had studied engineering in England bought the site in 1960. In a short space of time (in collaboration with the total oil company designers Rochdale husband and wife architects Berkeley and Winifred Moir), Paul designed a space age fuel filling station and brand new car showroom. The design was very radical and ahead of its time which incorporated a cantilevered roof and circular futuristic flying saucer shaped building.
Paul was to be joined by two of his sons in the business and over the years has grown and developed having had a car leasing company based here and a ford main dealership.
In 2011 the car showroom was developed into a New York inspired american deli diner. The deli uses the unusual look of the building and enhances the futuristic feel of the building through its interior decor.
The back offices have been transformed into an ice cream parlor and kitchen. The ice cream parlour has been decorated with old photographs of Alderley Edge and the Highams business through the years as a means of remembering the many years the business has had at this location.
The Highams business has been a family ran affair for almost 100 years since 1919 and is planned to be passed onto further generations in the future.